Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sensory Experience

We were in the first night of Reiki class a few weeks ago. We went through a sensory exercise I start many of the classes with, to teach you that you are experiencing the world through you senses.

But today I realize, that as I invite you to imagine you are experiencing something else, and your senses begin to give you that data, even sensory data is subject to your MIND!

You experience, via your external senses, what your MIND tells you. NOT necessarily what is there.
Ah ha!
I've been teaching this for years and I suddenly realize it in a whole new way.

Your sensory experience is only dialed to what your MIND tells you.
So, the Ice Man can run up Mt Gilboa barefoot in jockey shorts and be fine because he tells his external senses that it's warm, he's fine.

Is it hypnosis?
WHAT ISN'T!!!

Do you see? Do you get it?
EVERY experience you have, every day, is only dialed to what you have DECIDED it is.
SO, is it a good day, a bad day, a tough day, a mild day. Is it fun, is it hard?

Literally the very sensory experience you have is based on your MIND'S decision about it BEFORE you've had it.

So a young woman came in that had a reaction to strawberries. Even looking at the berries would cause her skin to redden. Is that a valid sensory experience or is her MIND causing it? I used to think that it was her heightened sensitivity reacting to it from a distance, because even with her eyes closed, she would react. Hmmmmm

Now I wonder? New question! New possibilities! Remember-it is only true until it isn't true and a new question gives way to new explorations! A new hunt! A new game!

If I tell myself that I am hot, am I? If I change my mind, does my body temperature go down?
If I tell myself I am tired, am I? And if I change my mind, do I get energized?
If I tell myself I am happy, sad, scared, grateful, does my sensory experience change?

Try it-as an experiment. Just like in class. What happens?
Blows your mind about how to tell what is real doesn't it?